[drats_users] Linux Neophyte...

Dan Smith
Sat Oct 24 15:59:38 PDT 2009

Hi Charles,

> I got a mini computer with Ubuntu (Linux).  I got it mostly because it
> was so inexpensive (barely over $300.00 delivered).  Ubuntu is a nice
> OS, but I've never used Linux, ever.  Could someone point me in the
> right direction, or, explain how I can install D-Rats onto this
> machine?  All I really want to do is run D-Rats and packet with this
> computer.

Go to System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package manager and make sure
the following tools are installed:

  python-serial
  python-gtk2
  python-libxml2
  python-libxslt1

After that, you should download the Linux source from the download page.
It will save on your desktop by default.  Then go to Applications ->
Accessories -> Terminal.  When it opens, type the following:

  cd Desktop
  tar xzf d-rats-0.3.1.tar.gz
  cd d-rats-0.3.1
  sudo python setup.py install

After that, you should have a D-RATS launcher in your Applications menu.
 I really should have a cleaner package for Linux users to just click
and install, but most know how to do it this way so I'm lazy :)

If that doesn't work or you hit a snag, I'll be glad to help you in more
detail.