[drats_users] Email Proposal

Dan Smith
Mon Oct 19 11:41:36 PDT 2009

> The d-rats.com addresses will become a bit of a nightmare for you (on
> the server side) when the spammers finally find them.  Keeping that spam
> from being transmitted onto the Amateur Bands will become a full-time
> job.

Well, I'm aware of that potential.  I actively run some MTAs for several
other domains.  I believe that there's a lot that can be done to help
reject a large amount of that because I do it every day.  However,
you're correct in assuming that I don't need any more work to do.

How about this:

When you request a mail check, you provide a server, username, and
password.  The other end will check the messages on the specified
system, pull them down and then forget the credentials.  Sending a mail
from an email address other than the configured masquerade address will
require a little thinking to make sure the system doesn't turn into an
outbound spam bot.

That way, you can check a gmail account, or anything that provides a
POP3 interface.  Your password would be going out over the air, but that
still requires someone to sniff and decode the packets, which is harder
than looking at someone else's WinLink account.

How about that?