[drats_users] D-RATS 0.3.2b4

Dan Smith
Sat Nov 7 17:34:53 PST 2009

> You can download Paclink at www.winlink.org Paclink is the client
> software that allows you to use RF packet to connect to an RMS
> Gateway. The RMS Gateway uses the old FBB protocol to upload or
> download mail for you with one of 5 CMS Servers which are redundant
> servers.  The password to sign on to the servers is built into the
> RMS Gateway software which also rotates through the CMS Servers.
> Doing it this way no password is needed for the client just a valid
> ham call.  If you have an internet connection you can skip the RMS
> Gateway and connect directly to the CMS Server, also with a builit in
> password and also rotating through the servers.

Yep, I understand all of that.  If I sound like I don't know what I'm
talking about, it's because I haven't done much of it because (a) I
don't like clubs I have to join for no reason and (b) because I only
have one windows machine (and it's not even a physical one) to test this
stuff on so I don't do it.

> The only password that's needed is the internal one for your
> localhost so that you can check your mail using the familiar Outlook
>  Express.

Yeah, I just think it's silly that if anyone on the internet can check
your mail with no password, there's not much point in having one on paclink.

> I think it would be really cool if there was a hook in D-Rats.  This
> RMS Gateway station could also run D-Rats with a hook into the telnet
> part that checks for mail from the CMS Server.  A D-Star client could
> user D-Rats to send or receive mail the same as a Paclink client.
> This would greatly expand the coverage of the Paclink client to the
> RMS Gateway because you could use D-Star repeaters.

You can do this now by putting in "localhost" for the remote server name
and using the proper username (callsign) and password you have in
PacLink.  I'll play around with making some easier some shortcuts tomorrow.

> Dan, I guess you are going to have to join the Winlink development
> Team so you can use up some of that spare time that you have :-)

Just so you don't lose any bets, that will *not* happen :D