[drats_users] 91AD issues

Pentti Gronlund
Thu May 7 16:09:15 PDT 2009

Gene Coldwell writes:

> I've used a 91-AD with D-Rats with good result. However, I had to
> connect an external antenna to the HT. My home-made serial cable,
> 6 feet long did not get the radio RF and the computer far enough
> apart to make things work well. The radio transmitter could confuse
> the serial port. But with a mag-mount antenna 10 ft away, all was well.

Many USB/RS-232 dongles are not happy with RF. We have tried many of
those with my IC-V82, and only ATEN UC-232 has been OK with running
the full 7 watts of output to the rubber duck antenna so far. Some
other brands will work with an external antenna while mobile, some
others are so sensitive that they just need a fixed rooftop antenna
far away from the radio to be able to operate.

You just have to make tests with the available ones, I suppose...

My 2 Euro cents worth, too...

Benjamin OH3BK
--
		Live Reports from the Taxman's Paradise!