[drats_users] D-RATS Issue Tracking

Dan Smith
Fri Mar 20 06:51:32 PDT 2009

> 1/ If people post info regarding a perceived bug through the mailing
> list, more people are likely to contribute by confirming the symptoms or
> commenting that it may not be present on a particular platform.  If the
> problem is only logged through trac then others may not be aware of the
> perceived / real problems unless they go looking for it through trac.

That's something that I thought of as well.  However, the lurker ratio
here is high and people don't seem to speak up when they're seeing a
similar issue anyway.  Not like I want to encourage that activity, but
it's a fact.

> 2/ If a user posts a bug, feature request, etc through the mailing list,
> is someone going to volunteer to ensure it gets into trac?

I think that when it gets reported, we'll all need to jump on that
person and make *sure* that they report it via trac too.  I think it
will be less effective if a third party reports things in Trac that are
seen on the mailing list.  It's why I made sure that the ticket
submission process didn't require a login.  I want people to be able to
easily pop over there and submit a bug.

> One possible method of ensuring that everyone is kept in the loop would
> be, within trac, to include the mailing list email address as a
> recipient of all new / updated / closed tasks, although you would
> probably want to exclude resending any attachments, debug logs, etc to
> the whole world.

Yes, I think that this is a good idea myself, and is a common practice
elsewhere.  I didn't do it initially for fear of flooding this list with
ticket notices.

Do people want to try having the list cc'd on ticket news?  Seriously,
please chime in here if you have an opinion.

> Assuming the pilot is successful, I hope we will also see this available
> for CHIRP :)

Sure, but I'll need to add some disk space to the server for all *your*
tickets :)