[drats_users] Rig Control & D-RATS

Dan Smith
Thu Feb 5 15:23:16 PST 2009

> Is there a way to use the RS-91/92 software and D-RATS simultaneously?
> This seems to be a port issue with Winders as I have heard of some apps
> that provide a workaround for gps usage.

Not in the sense you would expect, no.  Even if you use a serial port
multiplexer, it's not really safe.  Since you control the radio through
the same port you use for data, you have to send a special sequence to
put it into clone mode.  You wouldn't want D-RATS sending data to the
radio when it was in the middle of a memory write operation, for example.

> Currently the 91/92 software seems to be the only rig control software
> for DSTAR and it would be very handy to be able to integrate some of
> these function into D-RATS .

You're not the first person to bring it up.  I realize that it would be
nice to be able to have D-RATS program the proper callsign in the radio
before transmitting so that you could automatically reply to a gateway
user, etc.

The logic and libraries are there in CHIRP, and are importable by
D-RATS.  The only problems are:

1. Figuring out the proper control bits to get the radio to do what you
   want, and
2. Figuring out how to integrate that into D-RATS in a meaningful way.

It's not technically hard, but the second item opens up a can of worms.

I don't really like using my handheld for lots of continuous duty
because I figure it's probably more delicate than a mobile radio and
more susceptible to decreased component longevity due to excessive heat
buildup (which we know the 91 suffers from).  I'd be much more excited
about the possibilities something like this would open up if ICOM
included rig control in one of their mobile radios.

Since we have yet to use the gateway for any real-life data operation in
my local area, I guess I'm not fully convinced of the usefulness of this
when limited to a 5W radio.  I'm sure plenty of people will step in to
argue with me, so let the comments fly... :)