[drats_users] D-RATS and DV-Dongle

Dan Smith
Thu Aug 27 10:22:33 PDT 2009

> It happened again, that's one question I was going to ask.  Is it
> possible to access DVTool across a LAN?  That way, I can run D-RATS
> on an underpowered netbook, if I am conducting a data only session,
> and it won't choke on the voice part of the transmission.

Well, I would expect that DVTool doesn't encode voice when it doesn't
need to, so I think that you should be okay (and/or Robin should be able
to fix that).

However, if DVTool accepts connections to the data port from machines
across the network, I can easily allow you to specify a hostname for the
dongle.

You can try it by doing "telnet my.other.ip.address 20003" from the
netbook and see if you get a "refused" message.  If you get a blank
screen, then it worked.