[drats_users] D-RATS DV Dongle Testing w/DVTool 2.0beta 2

Dave Cooley
Sat Aug 22 16:56:50 PDT 2009

Dan Smith wrote:
>> I am pleased to report that the D-RATS Dv Dongle connection works! A
>> couple of minor anomalies not withstanding, it connects and
>> functions normally. Great Job.
>>

> Excellent!  I haven't had a chance to test it, but I'm glad it's working.
>

>> 1. When you send a chat message in DRATS through the dongle the "
>> Transmitting " message appears in the status bar of DVTool. This
>> doesn't go off until the dongle sees activity from another station or
>> you manually hit the transmit button in DVTool. Further testing
>> indicates that the dongle does not keep transmitting as the status
>> bar indicates and does in fact act as it should the only difference
>> being that the status bar does not indicate the correct condition (it
>> should indicate the length of the transmission) The strange thing
>> here is that when I start DRATS and it transmits my online message,
>> the dongle acts normally (the transmitting message goes out after a
>> few seconds)
>>

> Okay, not sure about this, you'll need to ask Robin about it.  D-RATS
> sends the data over the socket to DVTool, but that's the end of the
> interaction.  My guess would be that DVTool needs some adjustment on the
> timer (and or UI synchronization thereof) it uses to determine when the
> socket client is transmitting or not.
>
> I will forward this Robin. Thanks
>> 2. The addition of launching the Proxy from the client is a good
>> idea. The only thing to remember is that you have to restart the
>> client after the proxy is running. This is nothing new., but now with
>> the ability to launch the proxy from the client, users need to be
>> aware that the need to restart the client in order to connect to the
>> proxy.
>>

> Actually, if you just go into preferences and hit save to get out, it
> will re-open the connections.  Further, if you have D-RATS set to
> connect to, say, localhost then if you start D-RATS and then start the
> proxy within, a few seconds later the auto-reconnect logic *should*
> connect up.
>
> I am using localhost as the connection, I will try it again and test the reconnect logic. Again this is not a big issue.
>> Dan, let me know if you think it appropriate to post on the DV Dongle
>> board?
>>

> Yes, the first issue should go to Robin.
>
> Will do.
>> Also, let me know if you want a Trac Ticket on these. They are so
>> minor.
>>

> I'm not sure the second one is really an issue, it's more of just a
> procedural note.  I really only put that in for the MacOS users as a
> workaround for the way applications are packages on MacOS.  Can you
> think of something specific that needs to happen to address this?

I will test the reconnect logic. I don't see a need for a ticket at this
time as it is as you said just procedural.

Robin, rather than re-write the email I am sending you a copy of the
original . Before I posted anything to the DV Dongle board I wanted to
send it to you. Please let me know if I can do anything else.

Thanks to you both!

--
Dave Cooley
N2LZ