[drats_users] Com port issue

Dan Smith
Wed Apr 22 16:31:08 PDT 2009

> I'm having a problem, and I don't know if it's the radio or D-RATS.
> I'm using a IC-2820.  When I start D-RATS, the program will not send
> anything through the radio as evidenced by the radio not transmitting.
> I can exit D-RATS and re-start D-RATS and I get the same thing.  Then
> I load the Icom software for the 2820, do a Clone Read, then exit the
> Icom program, and restart D-RATS and everything works fine.  I don't
> remember having this problem when I was using Com 1, but now I am
> using Com 2.  Suggestions?

Do you have GPS mode enabled on your 2820?  If so, it needs to be
disabled.

If one program opening and closing the serial port affects how others
are able to open it, then it sounds like there is a sharing conflict
with some other program (perhaps in the background) holding onto the
serial port.  The Icom software uses some extremely old windows APIs
to access the serial port, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is immune
to, or perhaps breaks a lock on the serial port.

I'm far from an expert on Windows, so I'm not sure what else to try.
If it persists, open an issue and attach the debug log and I might be
able to give you a better idea of what the error is (or tell you that
D-RATS thinks its opening the serial port without a problem).