[drats_users] Ping

Richard Silva
Tue Sep 30 18:45:19 PDT 2008

Hello All
   Since I am new to D-RATS,and d-star, please excuse my basic
questions. First I straightened out my keying problems, I now can key
the radio(id800) with D-RATS. So the question is what is the purpose
of "ping". In the IT world I can ping a computer to see if it is seen
by the network. Can I ping a station to see if he/she is on line.
  My other quick question is can an operator who is running D-Chat
communicate with someone using D-RATS. I think so but I just want to
make sure. Here in LA some of us are trying to set up an EC network
system using D-STAR.

Thanks
Rick/WA6ES