[drats_users] Asus Eeee PC dRats install

Dan Smith
Mon Sep 29 11:57:35 PDT 2008

> I did this, and the list appeared in the file, which I have attached to
> this posting.

Great, that helps.  I see that you don't have some of the additional
repositories enabled, which explains why it's not finding some of those
package names.

Follow the steps here:

http://www.r3uk.co.uk/index.php/home/36-useful-information/79-eeepc-tips-and-tricks#repo

> ......yes, I did get the permission denied error. I did the chmod, and
> it then worked!

Great!

> Which resulted in the following (I still could not get this to pipe to a
> file):
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./d-rats", line 21 un ?
>      from d_rats import mainapp, platform
>   File "home/user/d-rats-0.2.6/d_rats/mainapp.py", line 27, in ?
>      import serial
> ImportError: No module named serial

Right, this is what we've been trying to get to.  Once you get here,
then it's just a matter of getting the remaining packages from the
operating system installed properly.

> I did go back to the SD card and tried to change the permissions to
> allow me to run d-rats there, and it said I did not own the file to be
> able to change permissions. Really not a big deal, since it looks like I
> should be fine with the application on the main memory.

Right, this is probably because of the way they have their mounts set
up.  D-RATS is quite tiny, so I don't think there's any reason to not
just put it directly on the main drive.  You can certainly configure it
to store things like maps on your SD card.

So, configure those repositories, do the steps up to the "apt-get
update" command, and then try to install some of those packages listed
in the instructions again.  If the serial package still isn't available,
then we'll go from there.  I did get it all running on my friend's
EeePC, but I don't remember all the details of how I left it.

We're making progress though!