[drats_users] Asus Eeee PC dRats install

Dan Smith
Mon Sep 29 10:07:50 PDT 2008

> I tried it with the other two files: python-libxml2 and python-libxslt
> and get the same error message for each.

Okay, the package names might be slightly different, and since I'm only
going on memory, it's a little hard.

How about this... Do the following and send me the list.txt file:

   apt-cache search python > list.txt

That way I should be able to give you more accurate instructions (and
update the ones on the wiki).

> Also, I tried running d-rats as you said. If I run it from the directory
> I have d-rats in, I get:
>
> /home/usr/MMC-SD/partition1/dRats/d-rats-0.2.6> ./d-rats
> Bash: ./d-rats: Permission denied

Ah, okay, it looks like you might be running it off of the SD card, is
that right?  Sometimes because of the way systems mount FAT filesystems
it makes it hard to execute things from them.  Can you copy the
d-rats-0.2.6 directory to, say, /home/user ?  Something like this should
work:

   cp -r d-rats-0.2.6 /home/user

Then, go to that directory and try it again:

   cd /home/user/d-rats-0.2.6
   ./d-rats

If you still get a permission denied error, you might want to do this:

   chmod a+x ./d-rats

and then try running it again.

> Again, thanks for the patience in dealing with my inexperience here.

No problem at all.  Unfortunately, I make some (incorrect) assumptions
that the linux users can figure things out on their own.  However, I'm
always happy to have new people using linux, so I should make more of an
effort to make this process easier.

If we continue to run into issues, I will see if I can borrow an EeePC
from a friend to help make this go quicker.