[drats_users] Slow Speed Data over reflectors

John D. Hays
Mon Sep 29 09:30:14 PDT 2008

Dennis,

I don't think you know me at all, nor my reading habits or educational
background, so your assertion is flawed at best.  Actually, I have read and
studied the specification at
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/techchar/D-STAR.pdf a few
times. I don't read Kanji so, I haven't been able to study the original and
more complete specification.  However, a reading of the aforementioned
English version will demonstrate that neither the term DV or DD is defined,
speaking only of "Voice Communication" and "Data Communication" (and
"Backbone Communication") the "Data Communication" specifically discusses
the 128k, Ethernet style, communications and specifically includes the short
data messages (slow data) in the "Voice Communication" section.

If you look back over the last few years, DV and DD, were terms that started
appearing in Icom marketing communications some time after the specification
was written and initial products produced.  Icom literature, that I have
seen, equates the "Data Communications" to DD, and "Voice Communication"
(including data messaging) to DV.

You are free to keep your incorrect opinion, and use your terminology, but
the general community will continue to use "DD" and "DV" as described.

And what the heck is SATX? (Using a local acronym doesn't communicate
anything to the general community.)

--
John D. Hays
Phone:      206-801-0820