[drats_users] 0.2.7b2 with return mail

Dan Smith
Wed Sep 24 17:32:44 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I just posted 0.2.7b2 in the beta directory.  This one has the ability
to set the outbound email address, so that mails can be routed back.

There are three new settings, a POP3 server name, user name, and
password.  (For now) you need to use a dedicated email account.  A
freebie from Google or the like should do fine.  Anything you have POP3
access to.

Set the server, user, and password entries appropriately.  Then set the
reply-to address to be the email address of that account.  Once you do
that, *any* new mail that comes into that account is converted to an
email form in the form manager tab.

Some caveats (all of which can be fixed in the future):
 - I poll the POP3 server every 30 seconds.  Good for testing, bad for
   karma.
 - There's no way to specify SSL
 - All mails that show up at that account are converted to forms and
   deleted from the server
 - You can only poll one server at a time, and you can't "check for
   new messages" at the click of a button

Despite all that, it should be good enough for testing some round-trip
emails.

Feedback appreciated!