[drats_users] E-Mail SMPTE Connection

Tony Annese
Wed Sep 24 10:30:36 PDT 2008

I will play around with the e-mail on the Florida Tech Net tonight at 9PM
EST if anyone wants to join us on REF 001B.

Tony
KG4EXA

-----Original Message-----
From: drats_users-bounces at lists.danplanet.com
[mailto:drats_users-bounces at lists.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Dan Smith
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:02 PM
To: Discussion of D-RATS
Subject: Re: [drats_users] E-Mail SMPTE Connection

> D-Stars Comms only recently became a commercial product, so I
> apologize for that bad link.

Yeah, that's unfortunate.  Does anyone have a .zip of the old free
version they can send me?  Although I don't like to admit it, I do have
a virtual machine of Windows for creating the win32 builds of D-RATS :)

> You're correct that D-Star Comms did not allow you to access your
> e-mail client program such as Outlook, but rather had a simple e-mail
> form implemented inside the software. It sounds like your beta is
> similar.

Right, so as of the beta, you can do either: (1) Use outlook for a more
robust (but slow) general-purpose solution, or (2) Use the built-in
form-to-email gateway for something more lightweight and automatic.

> The issue of third party access and spam prevention was addressed by
> limiting incoming connections to the RF side. In other words, if
> your stations is acting as a gateway, allowing RF users to send
> e-mails via your station, they were limited to outgoing e-mails only.
> If you received replies that needed to be forwarded back to them,
> those have to be "accepted" by the gateway operator and then
> forwarded by manually ordering the software to do so. Does that make
> sense?

What you're saying makes sense, although I don't know that it makes
sense as a real security measure :)

I'll leave it as "trust the RF user" for now, but will definitely want
some access controls in the future.

> But imagine being in say, Galveston, Texas and being able to send an
> e-mail from your ID-800 mobile unit that said something like:
>
> Galveston High School Shelter has immediate need for:
>
> A. 100 bags of ice. B. 28 additional dinner meals. C. 11 additional
> cots and bedding. D. Vehicle transport for one injured worker for
> transport to Texas City. E.  Volunteer to replace inured worker,
> available for 8AM to 7PM duty shift. Male volunteer preferred due to
> limited housing.

Right, but you can do that with D-RATS already, it was just an extra
step to getting it into an email.  Anyway, I won't argue that being able
to pseudo-send email from the remote station is cool.  It's very cool :)

On our weekly tech net last night, we played around with the email
gateway in the beta a bit and it worked quite well.  I recommend
everyone try it out and make sure that it works.

I know some people will be using strict SMTP servers that require
authentication, SSL, etc.  Getting all of those things to work correctly
is a bit of a pain, but we should be able to get it all worked out
eventually.

Thanks Les!