[drats_users] drats_users Digest, Vol 1, Issue 11

John D. Hays
Tue Sep 9 10:43:26 PDT 2008

If Icom does this, they will break the DSTAR specification from JARL which
states those 4 octets are a comment, so a comment is its intended purpose.
A couple of there features use the data payload to add functionality (e.g.
group call squelch) and they might do it in a rational fashion, but it would
be interesting to see what Icom is thinking.

Remember Icom doesn't own the DSTAR specification, they implement radios
that use it and sometimes have their own interpretations or take liberties
in design.

This isn't Icom slamming, it just how it works.

-- John - K7VE

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 6:56 AM, Eric M. Gildersleeve ~ KD7CAO <
eric at 4gildersleeve.us> wrote:

> Okay, I've trimmed off everything else.
>
> I've spoken to Icom regarding the /xxxx information on a previous occasion
> and was informed that this is the appropriate place for the SSID
> information. At this time however, the Gateway's aren't set up to use it and
> instead have been using that eighth charachter block.
>
> According to the Icom Engineer I spoke with in Bellevue, a future revision
> of the Gateway software (maybe as early as revision 3) will be using the
> /xxxx for the SSID and thus allow 8 or 9 charachter call signs to be
> programmed into the radios.
>
> Your right in the fact that at this time it isn't being used for it's
> intended purpose. Apparently Icom never expected this new mode to sell as
> well as it has.
>
> Curiously, why aren't people using the Message Blocks for their name or
> location? I have two programmend into all the radios I program for people 1)
> First Last 2) First ARES/RACES...
>
> Till a little futher down the coax...
>
> Eric M. Gildersleeve ~ KD7CAO
> Gildersleeve Emergency Management