[drats_users] drats_users Digest, Vol 1, Issue 11

Dan Smith
Mon Sep 8 15:30:27 PDT 2008

> You had mentioned that from those of us that use Outlook you have
> difficulty opening the *.log files. That is why I converted them to
> .txt and made a rar.

Ah, okay.  Well, I've found a way around that now, so feel free to
attach .txt files directly.  Thanks for taking that into consideration
though.

By the way, the scorn was aimed at outlook, not outlook users :)

> The callsign in my radio is programmed this way. I thought it would
> need to be the same due to the fact that the D*STAR system uses the
> /91AD as an identifier for that particular radio. If you have
> multiple radios on the system, how would the network know where to
> send the data packet if you don't use the /xxxx identifier?

Ah, okay, I see the confusion here.  I should really write this up on
the wiki as well.  I'll just toss that on the already large pile with
the rest of them.

So, the serial port on the radios is a layer above D-STAR itself.  This
means that when I send something into the serial port, it gets wrapped
up in the D-STAR packet and sent along to wherever the radio is pointed.
 I can't send a packet to any station I want, I can only send a packet,
and hope you have your radio configured so that the remote side can hear it.

For simplex and repeater operation where CQCQCQ is set as the URCALL,
D-RATS can do station-to-station routing, but only to the extent that
those stations are within earshot.  If you have two radios with the same
call on the network, you resolve that in the same way you do for voice;
the data is not special.

Does that make sense?

> I will need to look into this some more. Perhaps I can turn off the
> XON/XOFF in my drivers for the USB device. ???

Well, when I open the serial port, I explicitly ask your serial driver
to disable its flow control logic.  If there is another setting
somewhere that is overriding me, then yes, turn it off.  However, the
driver is really supposed to do what I ask it to, otherwise some
applications would randomly fail without you making the other change.

> KC5GOI is actually using a Dell Notebook running Unbuntu, I believe
> he has a built in serial port.

Hmm, sounds like heaven to me :)