[drats_users] Beta versions

Dan Smith
Mon Sep 8 06:31:38 PDT 2008

> Guy managed to get some transfer rates in the 2100 B/s range where as I
> could only get the 200 B/s range. Not sure why yet.

In a word, compression.  Text files will compress sometimes to 30% of
their original size.  The transfer rate shown during the transfer is the
actual throughput over the wire, but at the end it calculates the
effective rate, given the uncompressed size of the file.

If you send an image, you'll get almost zero compression assistance, but
a big text-only file will shrink down a lot.