[drats_users] D-Rats v0.2.5 Latest Version Testing

Eric M. Gildersleeve ~ KD7CAO
Sat Sep 6 18:56:01 PDT 2008

I use the FTDI Chipset for my Serial Dongle. These are the same chip that
you would find in the USB Serial converter such as the TTL2USB for Yaesu,
the USB ID-800 Cable, and is even the same chip that is inside of the
Repeater Modules.

So, I doubt that is the issue. It also works incredibly well for the
programming of the radio.

Eric M. Gildersleeve ~ KD7CAO
Gildersleeve Emergency Management

-----Original Message-----
From: drats_users-bounces at lists.danplanet.com
[mailto:drats_users-bounces at lists.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Dan Smith
Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2008 8:42 PM
To: Discussion of D-RATS
Subject: Re: [drats_users] D-Rats v0.2.5 Latest Version Testing

> I need to clarify something. Those of you that have been able to get the
> file transfers to work... What OS were you using? I am using Vista Home
> Premium on one machine and XP Home on another.

Ah, I bet that's your problem.  The only USB adapter that I know that
actually works on Vista is the Keyspan one.  They're expensive for a reason.

Most adapters are based on the Prolific chipset or a variant thereof.
Prolific has explicitly *stopped* distributing their vista driver, and
have pushed that responsibility to the vendors.  The result is that the
vendors just ship the old prolific one from XP which *does not work*.
It will work for little stuff like chat data and programming, but will
lock the serial driver under heavy load.  I spent quite a bit of time
wrestling with this on a borrowed vista machine and did quite a bit of
digging.

If you're on vista, save yourself some time and frustration and spend
the $40 to get the keyspan:

  http://keyspan.com/products/usa19hs/

You can find it for less than that retail price.  It's the only USB
adapter that many companies actually support using their devices with.