[drats_users] D-Rats Project

Nate Duehr
Fri Sep 5 14:46:24 PDT 2008

Hey Dennis,

For this to be a "complete" error report for Dan (hopefully he
appreciates me jumping in here), he'll need to know how everything was
routed.

Were you on simplex, or repeater?

Callsign routing, or Dplus linking?

Reflector involved, or direct Dplus linking between two repeater ports?

Maybe just a summary of how all the users were set up for their :

UR Field
RPT1
RPT2

Would be good...

Meanwhile... I think you guys did the right thing by upgrading so that
everyone's on the same version.  Dan's a very prolific software author
and the "curve" of the development cycle is still pretty steep on D-RATS
right now, since he's fixing things and adding stuff on a pretty regular
basis.

You may want to make it a commonly known thing within your group which
versions you've tested and what works and what doesn't as a good way to
"manage" the complexity until the development cycle slows a bit, or
becomes less "bug fixes" and more "feature enhancements", which is
normal for all new software over time...

Better to be on later versions right now than anything old.  Dan's
making some good/neat changes, and it's well worth the upgrade in almost
every case I've seen so far.

Good bug report (I've been working on bugs commercially for over 15
years... seen good reports and seen bad ones... yours had almost all of
the important details.  Dan will ask for other clarifications if he
needs them, I'm sure!)

Is your group interested in doing some more testing through the
Gateways?  I'm kinda "fired up" to try some of the newer versions of
D-RATS but local support/interest has kinda waned.  I think it's a
mixture of time constraints and burn-out on the part of the ARES folks
over the DNC being here last week, and also a SMALL twinge of
disappointment that was somewhat unwarranted by folks who didn't really
understand where D-RATS was in its development for repeater use, back a
month or more ago when we did some of the initial trials through
repeaters.  They kinda thought it was "this stuff should just work", and
it wasn't quite there yet.  I ran out of time to cajole and push them to
help Dan out with more testing, and it kinda died on the vine here
locally.

So if I want to get back "into the game", I'd need to find some willing
folks to test with that are elsewhere... which also means doing it
through Gateways... and the added complexity of that... but I'm willing
to give it a go anytime...

I'm also VERY curious if direct callsign routing works better through a
Gateway timing (and maybe buffering) wise, than Dplus linking or
Reflectors.

I'd be willing to run a series of tests with some folks starting with
direct callsign routing and moving on "up" the options from there...
Dplus linked, then via Reflector... to see if/where/when it falls apart.

All data would be forwarded to Dan for review.

Anyone want to build Dan a "test team" and schedule some testing dates?

Also Dan, if there's anything the "world at large" can do to help you
get a Gateway... I'd be willing to cheerlead a bit on the main mailing
lists for that.  Anyone willing to work as hard as you do on D-STAR
software shouldn't have to worry about not having a Gateway to test
with!  (See, I'm already cheerleading!)  I know you already have a
repeater -- but not knowing the circumstances of how long you can use
it, etc... I don't want to offer to go beating the bushes for support
for you for a Gateway, if you can't really use it.  What'cha think?

Nate WY0X