[drats_users] D-RATS 0.2.8b1

Dan Smith
Tue Oct 28 13:38:44 PDT 2008

> Last weekend we held a D-rats training session for our RACES group.
> I encountered and interesting problem while trying to send an email
> via another station.  The other station didn't have a working
> internet connection.  I wanted to see what would happen if I sent the
> other station an email destined for a hotmail account on the
> internet.  The other station completely locked up and we had to kill
> the D-rats task via Task Manager to free things up.

Okay, if there is really no network connection, it should time out
immediately.  This is really the operating system's job, so maybe
Windows isn't doing the Right Thing (tm) here.  In Linux, if there is no
connection, it just immediately fails like you would expect.

I don't control the timeout on a socket, so that's not really an option.
  What I can do is make it a thread so that it completes in the
background instead of the GUI update thread.