[drats_users] D-RATS 0.2.8b1

Barry A. Wilson
Tue Oct 28 10:53:03 PDT 2008

Terry,

   Rather than Dan going to the time and effort of spawning a completely new
window for e-mail activity why don't you just create a new user on your
computer for amateur radio. Then all of your e-mail for ham stuff would be
going into lets say an Outlook user profile which already has the capability
or use e-mail filtering in your standard mail utility. That's how a number
of us do it with AirMail.  Outlook already has the e-mail notification,
address book and RSS capabilities built in! You can then use your D-RATS
Program for your full size text messaging window, beaconing etc. With a
simple addition of your mail tab in the Quick Launch or toolbar area you
have instant access to the other programs while working D-RATS.

Barry
KA0BBQ

-----Original Message-----
From: drats_users-bounces at lists.danplanet.com
[mailto:drats_users-bounces at lists.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Dan Smith
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2008 12:57 PM
To: Discussion of D-RATS
Subject: Re: [drats_users] D-RATS 0.2.8b1

> I was wondering if you have considered spawning a completely new
> window for the Email activity? I generally like to keep the chat
> session screen as large as possible tracking conversations, etc.. It
> would be nice to have a separate window for managing and watching for
> email.

You can probably create a filter tab for it, but I can make the
email-related messages more consistent (i.e. always prefixed with
"[MAIL]" or some such.

> Also, have you considered adding some sort of Address Book?

Since D-RATS isn't intended to be a general-purpose email program, no.
It's definitely something I can consider, but I'm not sure that it will
be easy to integrate into the form window since, after all, email is
just a special instance of a form :)

I'm pretty wrapped up with redesigning the configuration dialog box at
the moment.  However, make sure it gets on the FeatureRequests page so I
don't lose it and I'll get to it at some point.