[drats_users] D-RATS RSS Feeds

Dan Smith
Sun Oct 5 15:06:42 PDT 2008

> However if I try to pull down some other feeds that are a bit more
> complex then I get some mixed results.

Replace "complex" with "broken".

Many RSS feeds put only a link to the actual story that they want,
instead of the actual content.  Some RSS readers can handle this by
fetching the linked page and rendering it appropriately.

> Is D-RATS meant to pass the entire RSS feed (which I would hope)? I
> might be wrong, but I thought that it would basically treat the content
> in a similar fashion to Broadcast Text File.

The reason I added CAP feeds are because they always have the entire
content in the feed.  I will add a function to let you select that you
want to fetch the <link> for the content.  However, some pages
(especially NOAA ones) link to a huge page with all the alerts, instead
of a single page with just the specific alert in question.  Those will
be nearly impossible to make work, so it would be good to try to figure
out an alternate source.

> BTW, up until recently it was possible to edit the contents of an Auto
> QST message by clicking on it and making the change.  It appears in b5
> (and this probably occurred a few versions ago) that you can no longer
> edit a QST message and that you have to manually add a new one, then
> delete the old one, which is a bit of a pain :)

Yep, hence the "(which isn't finished yet)" in the beta release mail :)

I want that box to be more powerful in the future, as you can tell from
the per-type widget at the bottom of the box.  With power, comes
complexity, which requires time :)