[drats_users] D-RATS 0.2.7b4

Nate Duehr
Fri Oct 3 18:15:19 PDT 2008

Dan Smith wrote:
>> Has anyone tested with a more "normal" POP3 server?
>
> I use it with a cyrus-imap server, and now Dave has shown that it works
> against gmail (D-RATS was just barfing on the MIME stuff, but that's
> fixed now :)
>
>> Gmail's implementations of POP3 and IMAP are VERY odd.
>
> Howso?  POP is pretty hard to screw up, and D-RATS isn't a very
> complicated client, so there shouldn't be much trouble.

Their "folders" and things are strange.  They tie stuff to "tags" in
their web GUI, and if you start using multiple tags, look out...
weirdness ensues.  Especially if you filter into "tags".

Their implentation of IMAP is way weirder than POP3 because of this, so
POP3 may be just fine.  IMAP is folder-based, and Gmail is "tag"-based,
and it gets ugly if you don't keep the "scheme" really really simple.

(Subscribing to or creating a folder from the IMAP client is quite odd
and has problems but I couldn't tell if it was Thunderbird's fault or
Gmail's.  I didn't have the patience to figure it out, I just stopped
using Gmail for the domain after I gave their service for that a try.
It whacked a lot of stuff I was very used to using a "normal" IMAP server.)

> I'll post another beta tonight, with those fixes and the updates I've
> made to improve status message responsiveness.

Cool!  I'm really really sick... apparently I caught the first flu bug
of the year or a nasty cold three days before the company is offering
flu shots!  LOL!

I have a feeling I'll either be passed out somewhere in a bed all
weekend, or sitting at a rig in the hamshack.  I have a couple of
errands to run, but everything else is canceled, for sure.

(I also may not be thinking too clearly.  Dan will appreciate the
strange bug reports, I'm sure.  Don't be too hard on me Dan!  LOL!)

Nate WY0X