[drats_users] Printable question

Debbie Fligor
Thu Oct 2 14:42:32 PDT 2008

On Oct 2, 2008, at 10:16, Dan Smith wrote:

>> I was showing someone d-rats last night and went to show the
>> printable
>> version of the radiogram, and all I got was an error message about
>> firefox.  I assume that means I need and X-windows version of firefox
>> installed, or perhaps just a library. I've got native Mac firefox
>> installed, but I'm guessing that doesn't help much :-)
>
> Ah, this is a good question.  I'm not sure how this is handled,
> although
> I do pop up the TextEdit application for some things, so I don't think
> it will be a problem.
>
> I'd guess it's because I'm assuming that I can execute 'firefox' on a
> UNIX system out of $PATH, which probably isn't the case for Mac.
> How do
> I figure out what the default browser is and where to launch it from?

when on a cli (X11 or terminal), I can use this command:

open http://www.apple.com

and it opens the default browser to that web page.  the down side
(kind of) is that will move you out of X11, but for most Mac users,
that's not a problem.

If I just use
open <filename>

it appears to know enough to open a file ending in .html in a web
browser and .txt in BBEdit (the application I've set that to).

I don't know if there's a better way or not.

-debbie, n9dn