[drats_users] Map Downloader Question

Dave Cooley
Fri Dec 19 15:44:48 PST 2008

No Problem Merry Christmas

-----Original Message-----
From: drats_users-bounces at lists.danplanet.com
[mailto:drats_users-bounces at lists.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Dan Smith
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2008 6:29 PM
To: Discussion of D-RATS
Subject: Re: [drats_users] Map Downloader Question

> Google jus updated their API agreement last month. I don't know if its
> any better.

Wow.  Actually, the biggest restriction has been lifted.  They now allow the
map tiles to be used in a non-web application.  That's huge.

The next impediment is item 5.3 in their TOS:

> 5.3 You agree not to access (or attempt to access) any of the Services
> by any means other than through the interface that is provided by
> Google, unless you have been specifically allowed to do so in a
> separate agreement with Google. You specifically agree not to access
> (or attempt to access) any of the Services through any automated means
> (including use of scripts or web crawlers) and shall ensure that you
> comply with the instructions set out in any robots.txt file present on
> the Services.

This means that I can't directly address their map images from D-RATS
because I have to use their API.  Their API is only available in JavaScript
(IIRC) because it's only intended for web applications.  I could, however,
write a web component that sits on a web server that uses their API to get
the image URL and then sends it off to D-RATS. Somewhat of a "Yep, their API
gives me the URL I expected" sort of thing to appease the rules.

Anyway, I'll dig a little deeper and see what I can do.  Definite
possibilities here, though.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Internal Virus Database is out of date.