[chirp_users] New chirp-next build

Jim Unroe rock.unroe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 16:43:36 PDT 2024

On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 6:01 PM Eric <chirp at brunsen.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to run Chirp Legacy and Chirp next side by side without uninstalling/installing them?
>
> There is at least one thing for the BaoFeng radios I use that can be set in Legacy but not in Next (I opened a ticket about it).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric

I assume that you are running CHIRP on a Windows PC. I've been doing
it here since CHIRP-next was released and development of classic CHIRP
was ended.

I uninstalled classic CHIRP and then installed CHIRP-next using the
installer since it will continue to be updated. It can continue to be
updated using the installer as new builds are released.

Then I unZIPped the win32.zip of the last build of classic CHIRP to a
convenient location on my hard drive. Then I right clicked the
'chirpw.exe' file in the extracted folder and moved it to my Desktop
and renamed it 'chirp legacy 20221217'. What makes this work is that
CHIRP has always been a portable application. It doesn't have to be
installed. I used this feature all the time to make available a older
build to do testing.