[chirp_users] Icom IC-2100H, Excel spreadsheet, csv files, chirp-next-20240111-win64

Rich NE1EE
Thu Jan 11 06:44:42 PST 2024

GM, all,
Thanks for this bit of testing. I intend to do my best to keep track of this topic, because I need to be clear in my docs to the ARES group.

As an erstwhile software engineer and programmer, I expect that the record reading routine instantiates a record structure populated with defaults, then proceeds to read the csv, filling in any valid data found. That would seem to create only valid complete records.

I've been using chirp-next, so that accounts for some of my success. I see that I am not using
URCALL,RPT1CALL,RPT2CALL,DVCODE
but I have
,,,,
at the end of each line. I am using MS Office 2010, which I have been using for years, though I see that there have been updates to it that I have accepted.

1. In the spreadsheet, I CLEAR all unused cells...I don't just leave them "apparently" empty. I Save As csv file. (all these files are available upon request)

1a. I open an img file from the 2100H, then IMPORT the csv (it IS an option, even if the popup says it isn't recommended), it appears that the img is updated SOMEWHAT correctly. Some memory lines are left blank, and I dont't see why...the csv lines look fine to me. If chirp sees too many commas in a row, does it get tired of processing nothing, and skip the rest of the line? Because I have this

4,EROCK4,147.465000,,,,,,23,NN,23,Tone->Tone,FM,5.00,,50W,EAST ROCK VOICE ONLY,,,,

and it is skipped.

2. If I choose to OPEN the csv file, the result is the same...I have blank lines in the csv file tab in chirp.

3. I then filled (spreadsheet) Offset, rToneFreq, cToneFreq with valid data, even though those fields are not used. For example, if a channel is simplex, there is no offset. If no tone option is specified, no tone value is needed. Hence CLEARing the fields in the spreadsheet, rather than leaving them "blank". If I don't CLEAR them, I get spaces twixt commas. I don't know how chirp handles those.

4,EROCK4,147.465000,,0.600000,,88.5,88.5,23,NN,23,Tone->Tone,FM,5.00,,50W,EAST ROCK VOICE ONLY,,,,

3a. I then opened the csv in chirp. The import stopped at line 23, but I suspect that is because the rest of the channels don't match the 2100H freq range (154.9..162.475). I'll check the specs. BUT now all the formerly blank lines are filled.

3b. I copied lines 1..23 from the csv tab to lines 1..23 in the ing tab, and it seems that all lines are correct. *** Unsed fields (see #3 above) are showing blank, as expected. I havna had a chance to load it into a 2100H and then read it, to see how that looks. BUT it seems that chirp is making some decisions I don't understand. I havna run into this before, because I tend to fill all fields, whether used or not, with defaults.

4. I checked the 2100H specs. The RX is listed as
136–174 MHz, BUT
*Guaranteed 144–148 MHz only.

Nonetheless, the deleted lines contain what seems to me to be valid data.

73 Rich NE1EE
The Dusty Key
On the banks of the Piscataqua