[chirp_users] Baofeng 'waterproof' models

Dan Smith dsmith at danplanet.com
Thu Feb 29 15:34:11 PST 2024

> I will probably get rocks and sticks thrown at me but I sure wish Chirp supported some of the common
> lower end DMR radios.

Nah Chuck, no rocks, Maybe a few sticks :) You're certainly not the first person to ask about it.

CHIRP supports something crazy like more than 400 models and it does that with a lot of common infrastructure. There are a few radios that don't work like most others that we support (like some of the newer Kenwood commercial radios), and making the infrastructure fit those is a real challenge. D-STAR, YSF, etc radios are generally organized internally like most analog channelized radios, but the DMR ones I've looked at are not so much. So it's certainly a possibility for the future, but it won't be a small undertaking. It's going to require people who possess both the *desire* to make it happen and the *skills* to do so (and a lot of patience from those of us that will have to help review and adapt the infrastructure to allow it).

--Dan