[chirp_users] Baofeng 'waterproof' models

Ceferino Lamb ceferino.lamb at gmail.com
Thu Feb 29 07:05:42 PST 2024

> ...I bought a Baofeng UV-XR (the "X"takes the place of "10") radio.  I have had absolutely no problems with it.  It is also water resistant, works perfectly with CHIRP, and now
(unlike when I bought mine) has a USB charge capacity.  It was a 10
Watt rated model.  Now it is rated at 12 Watts.  73s, Christopher
Knowles  WD1E

I could only find this one on Amazon, and the doc only says 7w. Notice
how Amazon markets it as Walkie Talkie, completely ignoring that it's
illegal to use with no license.

"UV-10R Tri-Power 7W Two Way Radio Handheld Long Range Walkie Talkie
for Adults with USB Cable"

I got no hits on UV-XR

On Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 4:36 AM Christopher Knowles <cknowles at tiac.net> wrote:

> A couple of years ago (maybe four), I bought a Baofeng UV-XR (the "X"
> takes the place of "10") radio.  I have had absolutely no problems with
> it.  It is also water resistant, works perfectly with CHIRP, and now
> (unlike when I bought mine) has a USB charge capacity.  It was a 10 Watt
> rated model.  Now it is rated at 12 Watts.  73s, Christopher Knowles  WD1E
>
> On 2/26/2024 7:57 PM, d at deutrino.net wrote:
> > Hi folks, and thanks to Jim and others for prior answers.
> >
> > I am looking for recommendations of a Baofeng 'waterproof' model that meets these criteria:
> >
> >    * dual-band and TX capable (or unlockable) over a range similar to old-school UV-5R
> >    * mature CHIRP driver and/or minimal history of firmware quirks
> >    * USB charging by port in the radio itself (no barrel plug dongles) if available
> >
> > I got a couple UV-9R Pro but found they have issues thus far, not sure if CHIRP related, hardware related, or other, but it rules that model out until I can figure out what the problem is.
> >
> > I got three GT-3WP and so far, while two of them work great, it looks like I got three models with three sets of quirks (one of those being the null set, but still, it doesn't inspire confidence)
> >
> > I got a UV-9R Plus and was afraid to program it for several months after the UV-9R Pro problems, I finally did so today, and it appears to work perfectly. But there's always the question of what will happen with the next one.
> >
> > I understand these are very inexpensive radios and there is always going to be a nonzero chance of getting one with strange new firmware. I'm basically just looking for people's input on what they see as the most solid choice in a 'waterproof' unit (yes I know they are only water resistant) from the Baofeng brand, preferably with built-in USB charge capability, with the lowest chance of upsetting surprises when I attempt to program it with CHIRP.
> >
> > And again. I know they are cheap radios. The next phase of my project is finding something that does all of the above (including a TX range comparable to the UV-5R), but with higher build quality and better durability. Feel free to pipe up if you have recommendations for that, too. Although for right now I am specifically looking at Baofengs.
> >
> > Thanks again. This is a very helpful group.
>
> --
> Christopher Allan Knowles, MPA
> P.O. Box 4632
> Vineyard Haven, MA  02568
>
> Please find my LinkedIn profile at:
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/chris-knowles-99aba51a/
>
> Staff Sergeant, United States Air Force, 1970 - 1974
>
> Call Sign:  WD1E - Amateur Extra Class
>             Accredited Volunteer Examiner (VE)

//CRL
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?