[chirp_users] Baofeng UV-5R8W Repeater Config Error

A Boer aboertus at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 11:23:29 PST 2024

It is good to know that having both + and - on at the same time in the display for programmed offsets is OK.  That knocks another concern off my list.

Rich, you asked earlier if I could do a factory reset on the radios.  I have done many resets on all 3 of my radios ( 1 each UV-5RHP and 2 each UV-5R8W's).  At one point, following a reset of both 8W radios, I downloaded a new .img file from each of the radios, copied just my test repeater details from the CHIRP Repeater Book .img file and pasted that single line item into my two radio .img files , then uploaded those files back into their respective radios and performed a test with the same results.

Right now I have two concerns.  First, when I export a .img file to CSV, (including the CHIRP provided Repeater Book file), the resulting .csv file shows 88.5 in every empty CTCSS frequency cell (columns G and H).  See embedded image.  Am I correct in assuming that for simplex channels with no CTCSS, the Tone column has no entry, so the radio won't even look at columns G and H and for simplex channels with CTCSS, the tone column has TSQL, so the radio will look at both columns and for repeaters, the tone column has Tone, so the radio only looks at column G?  If that is a correct assumption, then that knocks another concern off my list.

[cid:56f0e820-8cf8-4170-970d-b4445acfb925]

My final concern is that at some point in time we found out about CHIRP and at the same time, we got a .img file from someone and built our current frequency spreadsheets and .img files from that.  I am certain this original .img file has migrated into all of our older radios, including my UV-5RHP.  I don't know exactly when the repeater problem started with our radios, but it may have been introduced with that .img file we started with.  One of my buddies was doing all the CHIRP stuff on an old computer he had.  I just recently added CHIRP to an old computer of mine after I purchased my new radios.  I don't think I loaded the .img file from my older radio into the first new radio I was playing with on CHIRP, but now I am beginning to second guess myself.  If I did put that older .img file into that first new radio, then any problems that file had is now in both new radios.

I have poured through the radio menu pages and CHIRP Settings tab and cannot see anything standing out as out of place.  Something new that showed up in my CHIRP tabs that I don't think were there initially are two new tabs for Browser and Info.  The Browser tab has a bunch of binary and hex data that I don't understand.  It may just be the machine language conversion from the entries in the Settings tab.  The Info tab has a bunch of fields that are greyed out and I cannot edit them.  My concern is that somewhere in those two tabs, something wrong was introduced with that original .img file we received and it is messing up our repeater functionality.  Does anyone know enough about what is in the Browser and Info tabs to comment on this?

As always, feedback welcome.  Thank you for your time.

Alex Boerner
KJ7CPZ