[chirp_users] Help with Chirp re Baofeng UV-5R

Jim Unroe rock.unroe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 12:06:08 PST 2024

Hi Phil,

On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 2:05 PM Phil C <pclutt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all.  I believe this is the correct way to post asking for help with the Chirp program?  If not, could you point me in the right direction please?
>
> I have a Baofeng UV-5R which I want to use to monitor radio traffic on 169.038MHz. Receive only, not transmit.  According to the specs this should be possible, but the radio will not allow me to programme that frequency.  A Google search has shown me that apparently some of these radios were shipped without that frequency band (136-174MHz) enabled, and that Chirp should allow me to reprogramme my handset to enable this. Currently the only range available is 400-520Mhz.
>
> I have downloaded Chirp and am waiting on a cable to allow me to connect the handset to the computer.  If this reprogramming is possible would someone be able to tell me how to do it?  Preferably in pretty basic steps, because although I'm reasonably tech-savvy and can hold my own with phone and computer apps like video editing etc I have never reprogrammed a radio and wouldn't know where to start.
>
> Thanks. Phil.

The frequency that you mentioned, 169.038, is not a STEP compatible
frequency. The closest that you can to that frequency is (and it is
probably the frequency that you really want) is 169.0375. In any case,
it is only off by 500 Hz and will not make any difference for
receiving.

To be able to enter this value into either VFO, you will have to set
STEP to 2.5K, 6.25K or 12.5K. Key it in as 169.038 and the radio will
automatically round it down to the nearest STEP compatible frequency,
You can then store it to an empty memory if you want.

The advantage of using CHIRP is that you can program this frequency
into a TX disabled memory so you won't have to worry about making
accidental transmissions.