[chirp_users] CHIRP ?

Jim Unroe rock.unroe at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 14:22:43 PST 2024

Hi Ed,

On Sat, Feb 10, 2024 at 5:08 PM Ed Mylotte <ednlen6 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't understand WHY or HOW to use CHIRP.
> What will it do for me, a new ham?

It will allow you to edit the memories and setting of a CHIRP supported radio.

> How do I combine or integrate it to my ham operations?

You use CHIRP will a supported computer, operating system and programming cable.

> How often does one NEED to employ it?

Only whenever you want to make changes to your radio's channels and settings.

> It appears important, but can I just forget about it?

This is up to you. Even if you have and use CHIRP, being able to
program your radio manually is a good skill to have.

> Are there any other options available?   V/R Ed, AD9AK

Yes. The programming software provided by the radios manufacturer and
other 3rd party providers of programming software. Plus you can always
program your radio manually (assuming it is one that can be programmed
manually).

Welcome to the hobby,