[chirp_users] Baofeng GT-3WP errata

Jim Unroe
Thu Feb 1 17:06:33 PST 2024

Hi d,

On Thu, Feb 1, 2024 at 6:08 PM d at deutrino.net <d at deutrino.net> wrote:

> Hello and thanks for running this list and providing CHIRP!
>
> I've picked up a Baofeng GT-3WP (and have 2 more coming in the mail) and overall they seem to work well after being flashed with CHIRP, I've noticed a couple issues though.
>
> 1. only 6 character channel names!

If only 6 characters appear, then this is because the radio's firmware
limits the display to only supporting 6 characters. This is common for
these so-called 'waterproof' models. Because of this, the default name
length configured in the driver is 6 characters. Then for the few
models that have been found to support 7 characters, the name length
is expanded to 7 characters. The GT-3WP is one that is set to 7.

> 2. the 'B' or lower channel is set incorrectly compared to the intended setting in CHIRP.

How so? The code that handles this is quite mature and has been
working satisfactorily for around 8 years. Usually when someone thinks
one or both display lines are not working as they expect, it is what
they expect that is incorrect. So please explain here what you think
is not working or go ahead and open a ticket. Your choice.