[chirp_users] chirp_users Digest, Vol 177, Issue 9

Sean Dennis
Sun Sep 17 08:01:41 PDT 2023

On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 16:22:27 -0500
Jeffrey Vian <sandhillsinvestment at gmail.com> wrote:

> Most of us are happy that it is available and will work for (almost)
> everyone as it is.  Distribution as a python package and installing
> it with pip is universal in approach and avoids the extra overhead of
> meeting the multiple packaging requirements for various distros.

I think that, in this case, it's a lack of knowledge about how to
install Python-based software in a Linux system, which is not the
responsibility of the developers, the lack of understanding error
messages, and the lack of desire to learn how to fix things that go
wrong with a simple Web search.

I spent 35 years in IT as a self-taught system and network
administrator using Windows, Linux, and FreeBSD.  Web searches saved my
bacon many a time...and they still do. <G>

Side note: I have used CHIRP under all three above-mentioned operating
systems without issue.

73,
Sean KS4TD