[chirp_users] chirp_users Digest, Vol 177, Issue 9

Jeffrey Vian
Fri Sep 15 14:22:27 PDT 2023

Chirp is not packaged for specific distros since there would be a lot of
work involved in making it work for each one and the work would multiply
for each distro where it was specifically packaged.

As is the intent is for the user to install it using pip and thus it is
almost universal for installation in every distro out there.

If you wish to take on the task of making packages for specific distros
then by all means please volunteer.

Most of us are happy that it is available and will work for (almost)
everyone as it is.  Distribution as a python package and installing it with
pip is universal in approach and avoids the extra overhead of meeting the
multiple packaging requirements for various distros.

Jeff
KI7GJG