[chirp_users] Uv82hp

Jim Unroe
Wed May 31 08:18:02 PDT 2023

On Wed, May 31, 2023 at 11:01 AM K0LNY <glenn at ervin.email> wrote:

> I wonder if there is a key sequence for a full reset.
> Like hold down some specific buttons while powering it on.
> Glenn

The UV-82HP has something like three different memory layouts. They
are not compatible. So uploading a CHIRP Radio Images (*.img) file
from a different radio using an older version of CHIRP that didn't
protect for this could cause unwanted side effects. Some have been
known to be; 1 the radio won't scan, 2 the radio won't receive unless
the [MONI] button is pressed, 3 the radio won't TX.

If this is the case, which I am waiting for a reply to find out, then
there is a special method that can perform a full upload of a
"compatible" image to correct the problem that was created by
previously uploading an "incompatible" image.

CHIRP now tries to protect from this but there is nothing preventing
Baofeng from changing the memory layout in another place in the
future. This is why I no longer recommend swapping images between
Baofeng radios (even if the model and firmware versions are the same).
The only safe way is to download from both radios to open a tab for
each radios. Copy-and-paste the channels between tabs as needed and
finally upload each tab back to the radio that created it.