[chirp_users] Baofeng UV-5R+PLUS use BF-F8HP when connecting CHIRP... why?

Jim Unroe
Mon May 15 12:24:48 PDT 2023

Hi Jim,

On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 2:23 PM Jim Clark <kc7pvx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> To my knowledge, the Baofeng UV-5R+PLUS is just a UV-5R with a metal plate holding the display on instead of the ultrasonically welded plastic piece.
>
> For the UV-5R+PLUS I saw that the main page of CHIRP recommends the use of Baofeng BF-F8HP which I noticed includes hi-med-lo power settings instead of hi-lo on the UV-5R+PLUS.
>
> I previously used UV-5R just fine and wonder why you don't recommend it instead?
>
> Or should your description on the main page say UV-5R+PLUS. Am I just misinterpreting your annotation of my radio should be UV-5R++?
>
> Jim

Because it depends on if you have a UV-5R+, UV-5R Plus or UV-5R+PLUS.
But seriously, it is because Baofeng has a habit of selling any
dealer/vendor any radio they want with any name they want no matter if
that name has been used before of even if it is still being used.

That's why the Supported Radio Models list has entries for...

* UV-S9 (tri-power: use BF-F8HP)
* UV-S9/S9T/S9X3 (tri-band: use

* UV-5X (GMRS version) (use Radioddity UV-5G)
* UV-5X (original 2014 model) (use UV-5R)

And in your case...

* UV-5R+ (use BF-F8HP)
* UV-5R++ (use UV-5R)  <-- your radio

When in doubt the rule of thumb is...

2 bands, 2 TX power levels: Vendor: Baofeng / Model: UV-5R
2 bands, 3 TX power levels: Vendor: Baofeng / Model: BF-F8HP
3 bands, 2 TX power levels: Vendor: Radioddity / Model: UV-5RX3