[chirp_users] CHIRP Tips Videos

Dan Smith
Wed Jun 28 06:33:55 PDT 2023

Hi Rich,

> 1. With both the installed and standalone, files can be saved anywhere, and don't need to be saved in %appdata%...I keep mine in radio-specific dirs, along with other files and docs pertaining to each radio. This includes radio image files saved by other programs, such as Kenwood's MCP-2A.
>
> 2. In the standalone version, such files can be written to "...\chirp-next-20230628-win32\chirp\stock_configs", where ... is any dir tree leading to a specified dir, with no loss of functionality. My habit of putting them in radio-specific dirs keeps them independent of version changes of chirp and independent of radio. See also "...\Amateur Radio\generic radio channel config files", where I save config file "snippets", such as those supplied in chirp's "...\stock_configs".

You _can_ do this, but you shouldn't. The "personal" stock_configs directory is *only* in %APPDATA%\CHIRP, regardless of whether or not you use the standalone or installed version. If you put them in the extracted folder (or the equivalent installed one in Program Files) then your personal files will be erased when you upgrade. That's where chirp's shipped files live. If you put them in %APPDATA% then they will stay around across upgrades in perpetuity. Also, the personal ones (from the personal directory) sit above a divider line in the menu so you can quickly spot them as separate from the provided ones.

--Dan