[chirp_users] CHIRP Tips Videos

Rich NE1EE
Wed Jun 28 05:07:53 PDT 2023

On 2023-06-27 20:13:-0700, you wrote:
> I've been thinking that it might be nice to have a set of very short to-the-point videos that cover some of the more obscure features.

I use chirp-next-20230628-win32. I think the vids need to distinguish twixt the installed and standalone versions, to the degree that they differ in how they are used.

1. With both the installed and standalone, files can be saved anywhere, and don't need to be saved in %appdata%...I keep mine in radio-specific dirs, along with other files and docs pertaining to each radio. This includes radio image files saved by other programs, such as Kenwood's MCP-2A.

2. In the standalone version, such files can be written to "...\chirp-next-20230628-win32\chirp\stock_configs", where ... is any dir tree leading to a specified dir, with no loss of functionality. My habit of putting them in radio-specific dirs keeps them independent of version changes of chirp and independent of radio. See also "...\Amateur Radio\generic radio channel config files", where I save config file "snippets", such as those supplied in chirp's "...\stock_configs".

3. I encourage the use of longer filenames, because I have found in the past that after a while I don't recall what a file actually contains. See "TH-F6A HAM NOAA FRS GMRS MURS yyyymmdda", for example, where yyyymmdd is the date of the file, and a is an a-z alpha addition in case I save several versions on one day.

4. I understand the convenience of storing config files where chirp can find them by default.

5. You blew past the warning about unsaved file. I think a comment is deserved here...

6. I have not viewed other chirp vids for quite a while. I think your presentation is tops. Very nice diction. Nicely organized, and well-prepared, exactly the hallmarks of a good teaching presentation, vid or whatever. I appreciate no background music, and the calm tone of presentation. Nice pace. I do pause such vids to do things related to the vid, but it is nice not to feel rushed.

7. I don't subscribe to any channels, but I did save the link, and will keep my eye out for more.

~R~
72/73 de Rich NE1EE
The Dusty Key
On the banks of the Piscataqua