[chirp_users] Errors when trying to read from Icom IC-92AD

Joe Martine
Fri Jun 16 18:06:01 PDT 2023

> On Jun 16, 2023, at 7:10 PM, Dan Smith via chirp_users <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone have thoughts or suggestions to try?
>
> Yes: please fill out a bug report with a debug log, per these instructions:
>
> https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/How_to_report_issues

Okay, I thought I read somewhere it was recommended to post here first.  Will do that.

> Describing the issues sounds nice, but the meat needed to actually see what is wrong and do something about it is in the debug log. I don't have an F6 so I may or may not be able to help with that. I do have a 92AD, which works for me, but I have to see that debug log as well to have any idea what's going on.

I did post a link to my debug log for the 92AD in my first post - at least, the file created when I ran 'chirp --log'.  I don't have a 'debug.log' being generated in ~/.chirp/.

> Also, the F6 and the 92AD are not the same cable, at least on the face of it. Are you using an adapter to go from the 92AD multi-pin connector to speaker/mic jacks and then putting those onto the F6 cable? If so, I'm surprised that works at all. I've only ever used the 92AD for programming with the data cable, so that's really all I can reproduce here.

No, I have different cables for the two radios.  The actual Icom serial cable for the 92AD and a third-party USB cable for the F6A.  Both radios exhibit similar behavior when trying to read them in Chirp, so it seems to rule out a cable or configuration problem with the 92AD.  I just noticed that these two radios use "live mode" while the others I've successfully read/programmed all used "clone mode" so thought maybe it was related to that.

FWIW, this evening I located my old RS92 CD and loaded the software to my Win 10 laptop.  It works perfectly with the 92AD, so at least I do know for sure that the problem isn't with the radio or cable.

Thanks,
Joe