[chirp_users] Interesting item with Baofeng GT-5R, others? Duplex setting

Jim Unroe
Sun Jul 30 13:08:34 PDT 2023

On Sun, Jul 30, 2023 at 3:55 PM Ken Hansen <ken at n2vip.org> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I programmed my GT-5R with CHIRP-Next and all was fine, except when I tried to program a simplex channel in my radio to access my SHARI AllstarLink node.
>
> In the memory tab, I set "Duplex" to "off", as the logical choice among "+", "-", "split", and "off". But when I tried to transmit after loading that channel into my radio, it would not transmit (no RF, display color didn't change).

It is working as expected. Duplex: 'off' is TX disabled (not simplex,
not +, not -, not split)

Duplex: '(none)' or '{blank}' is TX freq = RX freq (aka simplex)  #
CHIRP-legacy or CHIRP-next respectively

> So I went in, looked hard at the settings, and discovered there was another option lurking in plain sight - "     " (blank).
>
> When I selected (blank) and loaded the radio with the modified channel, it worked fine (TX as expected, in simplex).
>
> If I look at the (actually pretty good) GT-5R manual that shipped with the radio, it says I have three choices for that field, menu item 25, SFT-D:
>
> "OFF [0]" TX = RX (simplex)
> "+ [1]" TX higher than RX freq
> "- [2]" TX lower than RX freq
>
> There's no mention of "split" or "off".

This is menu 25 (SFT-D) in the radio. It is only applicable when the
radio is in VFO mode and has no direct correlation to the Duplex
setting in CHIRP

> In short, the only valid options appear to be "-", "+", and "off", which I guess could be set to "     " (blanks).

Again, this setting has nothing to do with channels in MR mode and no
direct relationship to the Duplex setting in CHIRP.

> I just thought I'd share this here, I'll open an issue on the chirp-next website to get this fixed.

Don't open and issue. Nothing is broken so there is nothing to fix.