[chirp_users] New chirp-next build

Julian Macassey
Wed Jan 4 09:37:20 PST 2023

On 2023-01-04 at 16:40, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. (n1ea at arrl.net) wrote:

> "sudo" is useful for blind people and forgetful people to avoid the
> terminal being in "root" mode.  All sorts of damage or at least unexpected
> things can happen when commands are given in a root terminal and "sudo"
> minimizes this danger.

	It also has the advantage of controlling who uses root.

	Back in olden daze when AT&T controlled Unix much the
annoyance of many to go to root, you entered su then the root
password.

> I've been lazy in the past, and didn't use "sudo" thinking I was a "big
> boy" and wanted to wear "big boy pants" only to run commands under root
> that made my system unusable.

	There are two things you learn early. Are you root? and
what system are you logged into?

--
"The only problem with Microsoft is that they just have no taste,
they have absolutely no taste." - Steve Jobs 1995 TV interview