[chirp_users] New chirp-next build

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
Wed Jan 4 08:40:14 PST 2023

On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 4:25 PM Al Jones <al at aljones.us> wrote:

> Why do all you linux people run sudo ops, wouldn't it be better to just
> run the real thing??
>
> (( I really know what it stands for but this thread is long enough now to
> handle one wise comment, no? ))

"sudo" is useful for blind people and forgetful people to avoid the
terminal being in "root" mode.  All sorts of damage or at least unexpected
things can happen when commands are given in a root terminal and "sudo"
minimizes this danger.

I don't always check to see if my terminal has # or $ at the start
indicating if it is a USER terminal or an ADMINISTRATOR terminal (root).

I've been lazy in the past, and didn't use "sudo" thinking I was a "big
boy" and wanted to wear "big boy pants" only to run commands under root
that made my system unusable.

73
DR