[chirp_users] New chirp-next build

Stuart Longland VK4MSL
Tue Jan 3 22:29:51 PST 2023

On Tue, 3 Jan 2023 22:14:14 -0600
Ken Hansen <ken at n2vip.org> wrote:

> Please, Stop.

Stop what?

> It's not unreasonable for Microsoft to be paid to use its operating
> system, they do not owe 'free' licenses to people that build their
> own systems from components.

Please quote the part of my email where I made such a statement.

I was merely stating that acquiring a license is a non-zero cost, and is
mandatory if one is to use this OS.  I never said that Microsoft should
release their work for free.  Please don't accuse me of writing things
I didn't.

What I *did* point out, was the likely reason *why* Windows 7 support
is being dropped: namely that it's the decision of underlying runtime
library makers that have decided to not support this OS going forward.

I also pointed out the significant burden that supporting Windows has
on development _beyond_ the monetary cost of the licenses, namely its
requirement for "special case" code.  Trying to support old versions
only complicates this.

> (Win10 Pro OEM COA licenses are as little as $30 from various
> websites if you need to buy a license.)

OEM licenses are not legal on virtual machines and must be purchased
with new hardware.

Once upon a time (early 2000s), some resellers would sell you a cheap
piece of hardware like an IDE cable as the "hardware" -- I am lead to
believe Microsoft then changed the EULA to require that the "hardware"
had to be at minimum include a CPU, RAM, storage and motherboard.

For a virtual machine, you'd be buying a full retail license, IF you
had to hypothetically run a Windows VM (which you do not).

> I don't understand a why, in this context, a user running Linux on a
> self-built system would need to run Win10 - CHIRP-NEXT already
> supports Linux (and Max and Win10)...

Correct… and I'm pointing out that for such users, Chirp is actually
the only option in many cases, whereas Windows users have the full
gamut of solutions out there -- lots of options if Chirp won't work.

In short, on Windows, you often DON'T have to use Chirp.  If Chirp NEXT
won't work on Windows 7, those users often can use something else that
will, a luxury the Linux/Mac users do not have.

If someone wants Chirp NEXT and currently have Windows 7 as their OS,
the choices are:

- update the Windows OS to something supported (presently Windows 10/11)
- run a supported OS in a virtual machine (Linux and *BSD are free, or
  there's Windows 10/11)
- run a POSIX-like OS such as Linux, MacOS X or *BSD bare-metal
- fork Chirp NEXT and back-port it to Windows 7 (good luck)
- fork the underlying projects, back-port *those* to Windows 7, then
  convince Chirp NEXT to run on it (again, good luck)

> […snip…]
>
> While there are some Linux apps for Amateur Radio, there are many
> more that run on Windows, switching OSes is a non-trivial decision
> for so-called appliance users who may only have one system and feel
> uncomfortable running a virtual machine.

Windows is not an appliance.  Computers are not appliances.  Never have
been.  Using it like one (and many try to) does not make it so.

Over time, you may find those Windows-only applications will soon stop
supporting Windows 7 too if they are being maintained with current
compiler tool-chains and libraries.  The ones that aren't being
maintained will break some day on newer OSes, as backward compatibility
is not perfect nor is it infinite.

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)