[chirp_users] New chirp-next build

Ken Hansen
Tue Jan 3 20:14:14 PST 2023

Please, Stop.

It's not unreasonable for Microsoft to be paid to use its operating system, they do not owe 'free' licenses to people that build their own systems from components.

(Win10 Pro OEM COA licenses are as little as $30 from various websites if you need to buy a license.)

I don't understand a why, in this context, a user running Linux on a self-built system would need to run Win10 - CHIRP-NEXT already supports Linux (and Max and Win10)...

This thread is focused on loss of Win7 support going forward in CHIRP, which implies the list member/CHIRP user in question is currently running Win7, and any Retail/OEM Win7 license can upgrade to Win10 for free. Win10 systems with decent specifications and a license for Win7, 8.1, or 10 sell for reasonable prices, if someone decides to upgrade their hardware.

While there are some Linux apps for Amateur Radio, there are many more that run on Windows, switching OSes is a non-trivial decision for so-called appliance users who may only have one system and feel uncomfortable running a virtual machine.

Ken, N2VIP

<snip>