[chirp_users] New chirp-next build

Scott Lopez
Tue Jan 3 04:03:36 PST 2023

On Mon, Jan 2, 2023 at 10:07 PM Ken Hansen <ken at n2vip.org> wrote:

> What was the original issue that took us down this particular rabbit hole?
> That going forward development of a Win7 compatible CHIRP would cease,
> preventing Win7 users from running the latest/greatest release of CHIRP.

The updated python libraries needed for CHIRP no longer work on Win7 and
will not be updated for Win7 as Win7 is no longer a supported operating
system by Microsoft. CHIRP development has moved on to the updated
libraries, and therefore has dropped support for Win7. Some people are
upset that NEXT won't run on an older operating system, although nothing is
stopping them from using the last supported CHIRP version indefinitely on
Win7, they just won't receive support or newer features.

Time moves on and so does computer support. I can't complain CHIRP doesn't
run on XP either..