[chirp_users] New chirp-next build

John La
Mon Jan 2 10:04:14 PST 2023

Dan,
I put this reference together over the weekend.
I can enhance it if you think necessary.
https://www.miklor.com/CHIRP/

John

https://www.Miklor.com
https://www.Miklor.com/DMR/

-----Original Message-----
From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com
[mailto:chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Dan Smith
via chirp_users
Sent: Monday, January 2, 2023 10:34 AM
To: Discussion of CHIRP
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] New chirp-next build

> I would think it would be good to make it clear this "next" version of
> Chirp is made for Windows 10 and doesn't work on Windows 7.

It's on the page that describes the new builds, with a rationale:

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/ChirpNextBuild#What-are-the-
system-requirements-for-CHIRP-next

Unfortunately, it's really out of our control. There is only one version of
the runtime we depend on that works on Windows 7, and we would have to use a
compatibility library to even use that. That version will lose support soon
as well.

It's important that the build system run a supported version of windows, so
that it can be fully patched, and have all its security fixes applied.
That's safety for every user that downloads chirp. In order to do that, it
has to be running a supported windows and a supported runtime.

--Dan