[chirp_users] The meaning of CHIRP...

Jim Unroe
Fri Feb 17 05:36:31 PST 2023

On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 6:48 AM Tom Henderson via chirp_users <
chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> wrote:

> I found this...
>
> "The software is really the key to the whole programming procedure.
>   There is an excellent open source program called CHIRP which stands
> for CHInese Radio Project."
>
> https://www.westcoastplacer.com/program-your-radio-for-bcs-backroads/

Which has no basis in fact. The oldest CHIRP build that I have in my
archives (v0.1.8) only supports Japanese (Icom) radios. Support for any
Chinese radios (Jetstream, Wouxun) didn't appear for more than 2 years
later.

CHIRP v0.1.8 (December 2008): Icom
CHIRP v0.1.9 (May 2009): Icom
CHIRP v0.1.10 (June 2010): Icom, Yaesu
CHIRP v0.1.11 (March 2011): Alinco, Jetstream, Wouxun, Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom