[chirp_users] flatpak and modern linux

Jim Unroe
Fri May 27 05:30:37 PDT 2022

Cinaed,

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 5:17 AM Cinaed Simson <cinaed.simson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi - has anyone with a modern Linux OS succeeded in installing a working
> copy of chirp using flatpak?
>
> By a modern Linux I mean one with version of python3  greater then 3.6 -
> in general
>
> In a terminal window, type
>
>     python3
>
> and it will print out the version of python3 when it starts up.
>
> For instance, the version of python3 on my machine is
>
>     Python 3.10.4
>
> -- Cinaed

My Linux Mint 20.3 (which I mentioned in a previous reply) is the
latest version of the Ubuntu derivative and includes Python 3.8.10.
The latest CHIRP daily is installed using the flatpak downloaded from
the CHIRP download page. is It is absolutely working because I used it
to perform some testing earlier this week which required that I
download from and upload to 12 different (mostly) mobile radio models
a minimum of 1 time each direction using 4 different programming
cables (FTDI, Prolific, Silicon Labs and WCH).

I did the same testing using a Raspberry Pi Model 3B computer running
the latest Raspberry Pi OS (Debian version 11 (Bullseye)) which
includes Python 3.9.2. In this case the latest CHIRP daily was
installed as a snap package from the Snap Store.